- DIY Game Prototypes
- DIY Rube Goldberg Machines
- DIY Science Experiments
- DIY Puppet Theater
- DIY Birthday Inventions
- DIY Costumes
- DIY Kid Spy Gear
- DIY Interior Design
- DIY Dioramas
- DIY Action Figures
How Our Creative Reuse Center Works
Art Supply Shopping by "TAKE and MAKE" Bulk Bag or Individually Priced, Rare Curiosities + Artifacts
We collect surprising materials offering them for creative reuse as discount ALTERNATIVE arts and craft supplies! While Rare/Ancient items are individually priced, most materials are sorted and sold in... BULK BY BAG SIZE (plus sales tax)! Choose from 3 different bag girths:
TINKER FACT: You don't need a bulk bag if you're gonna tinker in the TinkerSpace™ for all materials are included with Drop-in Tinker Times!
We also stock surplus art supplies for emergencies including: pencils, pens, erasers, ink, paint, paper, sidewalk chalk, charcoal, Birthday Parties, locally made sketchbooks and MS. DARCY'S WORLD FAMOUS™ knitted cupcakes.
* At this time we sell neither popcorn nor potbelly stoves.
EMERGENCY SHOP ONLINE!
You can buy stuff with our seat-of-the-pants online, fly by night Tinkertopia Store!
Click here to visit our temporary square online retail experience! CURBSIDE PICKUPS ARE BEST. OK, we can ship now! DM us with details (email and shipping address)? STAY TUNED to our instagram and official facebook page for realtime Tinkertopia updates! These are truly dark times.
Make+Take TinkerSpace On-site CRAFT ACTIVITY ROOM is Closed. Not to be confused with our retail shopping area which is open. Stay Home, Stay Healthy.
People's Tinkertopia™ Activity Calendar, Schedule a Party!
***ALERT: TINKER-ACTIVITY CRAFT AREA TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO PANDEMIC (STAY HOME!)*** We will be moving to reservation system for tinkering/makerspace in PHASE III
HOWDY FOLKS! Heck we have missed you all. We are happy to be moving forward with a limited shop opening for PHASE 2.. NEW TEMPORARY BUSINESS HOURS: 12-5 PM MON-SAT (the tinkerspace craft activity area remains closed for now)! NEW TEMPORARY RULES: 1 wear a mask, 2 stay 6ft apart, 3 if you are sick stay home.. 4 if you can buy with our online shop and do curbside pickups plz keep doing that. https://tinkertopia.square.site/ Subscribe to our newsletter for more details here: email@example.com
- Individual "Tinker Time" Drop-In ***ALERT: TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO PANDEMIC (STAY HOME!)***
- Tinker times are a creative process experimental building time where you can explore hands on "low tech" construction with scrap materials and basic tools. It's an hour and a half familiarizing yourself with all the "stuff" to activate your imagination.
The workshop is designed for 5 y and up. This tinker time is only available when there is not a private event or other scheduled activity in the tinker space. Check the calendar for best times labeled as "tinkerspace open," "rainy day tinkering" or "open tinker"
Time Slots Available: Session: Cost: Ages: Weekdays & Saturday
Session One 10am;
Session Two 12pm;
Session Three 2pm;
Session Four 4pm
(Check Availability | Double-Check Availability)
Session One 12pm;
Session Two 3pm
(depending on availability)
$7.00 (plus tax) kindergarten and up
Schedule A Private Tinker Craft/Birthday Party: ***ALERT: TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO PANDEMIC (STAY HOME!)***
|Time Slots Available:||Cost:||Session:||Ages:|
|Sat. 12:30-2:30 and 3:30-5:30
Sun. 12:30-2:30 and 3:30-5:30
|$150.00 (plus tax)
Over 5 people Group Rate
|2 hours||kindergarten and up
What great way to celebrate the curious
child who loves to create, explore unique materials
and generally gets lost in the process of imaginative
inspiration. Tinkertopia™ offers a safe environment for up to
ten (10) “Junior Tinker-Cadets” to experience a hands on
explosion of creative construction in our one of a kind
"TINKERSPACE." Cadets are introduced to
the workshop and the materials by one of our knowledgeable
Creative Reuse Specialists (viz Shop Owner Ms. Darcy). If you are interested in
an educational aspect, specialists can introduce the
Cadets to the very green aspect of
recycled materials and their role as reuse artists.
Children are able to create, tinker and construct a
multitude of amazing things using the repurposed
materials provided in the Tinker-space. Before
leaving each child is given a complimentary party-size tinker-bag to fill
with their choice of creative bin materials to continue
their creative explorations at home.
Contact Ms. Darcy | (253) 778-6539 | Looking for Tinker Party Invitations? DIY Tinker Party Invitations pdf!
Class Field Trips FAQ:
- Does Tinkertopia™ host field trips?
- Yes! We love groups visiting the Tinkerspace. Whether you are a troop of Girl or Boy scouts, youth group, home school association, day care, summer camp, school group incorporating S.T.E.A.M. skill building opportunities or just a group of happy tinkerers we love you all!
- How many can we accommodate?
- Maybe you only have 6 or perhaps a whole grade level of 80 school agers, we can make it work. Space wise, our workshop can only handle about 15 to 20 kids at one time, but we have learned how to rotate multiple groups through and to be flexible with timing. For very large groups, we suggest splitting building times with local activities such as touring the museum district (TAM, MOG, Washington State History Museum, Children’s Museum) or waterfront, into 90 minute sessions and then switch.
- What is the age range?
- All ages love to come and tinker, but our workshops work best for kindergarten and up.
- How long is a workshop?
- Typically, with introduction, material gathering, building and clean up, a session lasts between 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- What is the cost?
- $10.00 per tinkerer (adult helpers are free). This fee reserves the space, includes all materials, use of low-tech tools, and instruction by experienced Creative Reuse Specialist. Kids build and take what they make!
- Are there programming/themes available?
- We've got something for everyone, but our most popular theme of “OPEN TINKERING/CREATIVE PROCESS” fits nicely with eco-education and STEAM (Science, technology, engineering, art, and Math) curriculum. However, we have a variety of specialized themes to choose from- bookmaking, puppet building, Rube Goldberg Machines, Wearable Art/Costumes/Masks, fairy houses, or special interest.
- Where do we unload and load?
- Buses have been known to pull up at the front of the shop, unload students and repark. There is a fire zone directly in front of the shop and we can help gather the kids inside quickly. Some groups have been known to park at the Tacoma Dome Park and Ride and then take the tram down to Union Station (our stop). THE KIDS LOVE THIS!!! NOTE: we do not provide bags or boxes to transport tinker creations home.
- Space for eating lunch?
- Tinkertopia™ is located alongside the University of Washington Tacoma campus. Many groups have enjoyed lunch sitting on the grand staircase there or have scouted out tables along the Prairie Line Trail.
- Scholarships available?
- Please ask us about reduced rate tinkering for large groups over 30. We have a limited amount of scholarships available.
- How do we book?
- Check out our online events calendar to see available workshop days and then contact Darcy, Educational Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tag us in your Tinker Creation Picture #tinkertopia; #tinkerbuilt SEE ALSO: Tinkerspace Photostream!
IN SEARCH OF: Local Alternative Arts & Craft Supplies
TINKER PATROL CALL TO ACTION: Don't let these materials go to waste! Give 'em a home at Tinkertopia [pdf] Donate any of these fine materials listed below today... And know that your hoard will be transformed into something magical. Your local art students will thank you, we call this cycle "The Great Material Continuum"
- Bottle Caps
- Bowling Pins
- Burlap Sacks
- Cast Offs
- Fat Quarters
- Game Pieces
- Googly Eyes
- How To Books
- Rubber Bulbs
- Sewing Machines
- Suction Cups
- Test Tubes
- Tool Boxes